"I'm not gonna settle down, no way! That's how shit starts, you know? When you start having things of your own. Things you ought to defend." — Cassidy to the other drifters in "Wastelands"
Cassidy is a character in Life is Strange 2. During Episode 2, she is met by Sean and Daniel Diaz at a Christmas tree farm in Beaver Creek, Oregon. She reappears in Episode 3, where Sean and Daniel join her community of drifters and runaways in Humboldt County, California.
Cassidy is a drifter, who plays guitar in public with a donation box. She likes being "free" and has a sarcastic sense of humor. (TBC)
Cassidy has long, straight purple hair styled into an undercut with short bangs. Her hair is gathered over her left shoulder, and several of its strands are wrapped in multicolored dread wraps and bronze hair clips. On her earlobes, Cassidy wears matching black ear tunnels. Around her neck are two hemp necklaces, one grey, and the other red-and-white, as well as a string with two silver keys attached.
Cassidy has multiple tattoos spanning across her body that were obtained from various people she has met while travelling. She has two sleeve tattoos (the left of which prominently features a dragon), as well as tattoos depicting a wolf underneath her left breast, a skull on her right hip, an uprooted tree with a hole in its trunk on her left hip, a bundle of flowers surrounded by wasps on her right lower leg, and a snail on the outer side of her right foot.
In Episode 2, she wears a thick, beige fur-lined parka with wooden toggle fasteners over a black shirt, as well as grey pants covered in grass stains. On her feet, she wears black heeled hiking boots laced with mismatching blue and white shoelaces. Her clothing shows visible signs of wear, including several holes that are mainly covered up by stitches and multicolored patchwork. Several of these patches have designs depicted on them, including a stylized zombie face in black marker, a skull between a fork and knife in white marker, a gas mask, the word "FORCE", and the Eye of Providence.
In Episode 3, Cassidy wears a purple t-shirt with an white logo, ripped blue jean shorts with various patches (one of which depicts an airplane and another an anthropomorphized orange), and dirty multicolored hiking shoes, as well as a chain hanging from her right hip and bracelets on her right wrist. During the campfire and heist scenes, she wears a striped baja hoodie.
Cassidy is from Texas. In Episode 3, she tells Sean that she won't go back home as her meth-addicted father beat up her boyfriend because he wasn't white, and her brother threatened to shoot her if she dated the same guy. She states her mother "didn't say squat as usual."
Around a year prior to Episode 3, Cassidy met Hannah and Finn and joined them in their travels. After Sean helps her with her chores, Hannah describes Cassidy when they first met as "pissed at everything... hurt. Unable to commit to anything. Except [them]."
During their visit to a Christmas tree farm with Chris and Charles Eriksen, Sean can find Cassidy sitting on a rock by the parking lot fences, playing her guitar beside a sign with the words "Will Eat For Food". He has the option of giving her $1.00 in spare change and listening to her sing a cover of "I Found A Way" by First Aid Kit. If Sean chooses to sit through the entire song, he and Cassidy will have a short chat about her musical talent.
Either upon being called out while leaving the market or by his own volition, Sean has another conversation with Cassidy. She tells Sean that she came to Beaver Creek with her friends, a group of freight jumpers heading to Humboldt County, California where they have a job lined up. One of her friends, Finn, comes to get her, and the two of them exchange banter and introduce themselves to Sean and Daniel. On her way out of the market, Finn and Cassidy are stopped by Nick, who admonishes them for not having their dog on a leash and looks down on them for being "millennial parasites". They mock Nick until he threatens to call the cops on them, then leave together.
At the end of the episode, Sean and Daniel decide to follow in Cassidy's footsteps and hitch a ride on a train passing out of Beaver Creek.
Episode Three - "Wastelands" Edit
Prior to the episode, on January 22nd, 2017, Sean and Daniel met Cassidy, Finn, Hannah, and Penny while train-hopping in Humboldt County, California, where they decided to join them in working at a cannabis plantation over the next month.
After waking up at the drifters' campsite, Sean can look at Cassidy's tent, where he notes that she's still sleeping. Later on, after returning with Daniel to the campsite, Sean joins Cassidy with the other drifters on Big Joe's truck as they drive towards the pot farm. On the truck, Cassidy tries to tell Sean a story before realizing that he isn't listening to her. She teases him over being jealous of Finn and Daniel's friendship. As the group begins speculating over Big Joe's "origin story" and Penny proclaims that he's a clone from Silicon Valley, Cassidy suggests that he could be a factory reject.
Upon arriving at the pot farm, Cassidy complains about her tiredness before being slapped over the head by Big Joe, which Sean can choose to either point out or let go. Once inside, Merrill admonishes the group for being late, which Cassidy quietly apologizes for. He sends her, Hannah, Sean, and Daniel to work on cutting weed buds in his house. Inside, Cassidy and Hannah begin to argue over the former's constant complaining about her work and expressing the desire to leave. After Big Joe returns, the two apologize to each other, with Hannah admitting that she's had a long week and doesn't want to fight.
Later on, as the group sits around a campfire while smoking and drinking, Cassidy sings her rendition of "I'm Willing" by Ben Lee. After she finishes, Hannah reminisces about her lost dog, leading to Finn initiating a game of who can share the worst memory. On her turn, Cassidy refuses to talk, saying that she already sang a song. After the game, as Finn shares his desire to live with the rest of the group on a beach, Cassidy mocks his dream and states that all she needs is what they already have. Afterwards, Cassidy tells Sean that he needs a haircut as Daniel tells Sean that he's getting tired.
The next day, Sean wakes up late and rushes to Big Joe's truck as Cassidy and the others cheer him on. That afternoon, while waiting for Merrill to call them in, Cassidy asks the group what they're planning to do with their money. Inside, Merrill tells Cassidy that she's been slacking off and to get it together, to which she agrees. Before he can give them their money, Big Joe comes in dragging Daniel by the arm and announces that he'd caught him in the living room, causing Merrill to deny the group their paychecks and telling the man to teach Daniel a lesson. Before Big Joe can harm him, Daniel causes a ceramic plate to fly over and hit him in the head as Cassidy and the others watch. Either Sean or Finn can take the blame for throwing the plate, causing Big Joe to punch whoever did so in the eye.
Later that night, she and the others observe Daniel showing off his powers. When Finn gets the idea to use Daniel's powers to steal from Merrill, Cassidy refuses to let him do so. She later creates a tattoo for Sean, either letting her choose or deciding himself. Sean can then choose to join her for a night swim in the lake and if their relationship is high enough, they will create romance towards each other otherwise they will just stay friends. If Sean joined the heist, he can tell this to her or lie (leading Finn to tell the truth to her); either way, this will anger Cassidy (which will also destroy her relationship with Sean). If Sean didn't join the heist, he can choose to go into Cassidy's tent to have sex or decline. Afterwards, Hannah will approach them and tell them that Finn and Daniel are gone. Aware that they're going to rob Merrill, they leave to stop them.
Arricing at Big Joe's parking lot, they find the lock broken and the storage truck missing. After hijacking the pickup truck, they use it to get to the farm. Upon catching up to Finn and Daniel, they scold them for robbing Merrill against their wishes. If Sean decides to join the heist, Cassidy will get upset and leaves the group, which will also end her and Sean's relationship. If he does not, Cassidy won't leave but this will lead Daniel to get angry instead and break the door down or, if Sean and Cassidy's relationship is really high, attack Cassidy before breaking the door down. Either way, Merrill will be alerted by their actions and will force then to get on their knees. If Cassidy left, Big Joe was alerted and his vehicles weren't sabotaged, Big Joe will drag her inside with him. If Sean chooses to have Daniel use his powers, Cassidy will be knocked out along with the others. If Sean chooses to do nothing, Finn will be killed and Daniel may attack Cassidy if Sean spent too much time with her.
The following morning (if she's with the group), she is seen unconscious with a TV crushing her right hand.
- Guitar: Cassidy owns a visibly worn guitar with several decorations across its body, including a cartoon octopus sticker, a blue "PA" sticker, two Iowa stickers depicting the name and shape of the state, a circular flower sticker depicting the letters "JDF", a drawing of a compass rose, and crude etchings of a guitar crossed over a bone and the Eye of Providence.
- Backpack: Cassidy owns a large, brown travelling backpack covered with stitched-up holes and patches, the latter of which include a "Pacific Steve's Famous Crab" logo, a circular sticker that says "NO F*CKS", and the word "FAILURE" on a black background. The backpack contains an item made of plaid fabric and a metal pan, and attached to its side is a wide metal canteen with black straps. Her backpack appears to reference various things from the first game.
Themes and Motifs Edit
- Duality and Uncertainty - Sean notes that Cassidy seems so out of place when first meeting her, and her appearance and behavior is odd in a number of ways:
- Cassidy's song, "I Found A Way," by First Aid Kit, is about a woman struggling with a dangerous romance (possibly metaphorically referring to freight hopping in Cassidy's case) while trying to discover who she really is. "My Duality awakes / By midnight time I could not see if I were you or you were me." The lyrics express uncertainty while the composition itself frequently leads the listener to predict the next chords before going in a completely different direction.
- Finn mentions in his banter that Cassidy is into (presumably wealthy) suburban boys who have stable homes while she herself is a hobo with no money or permanent home.
- Cassidy's age is left ambiguous. She appears around Sean's age, yet refers to herself as an old gal and acts like she's been doing this for a while.
- Cassidy is well practiced in singing to the point where she could make a career out of it, yet she does not want to.
- Cassidy has the most outrageous appearance of anyone in the Christmas Market, yet she expresses that she is the most invisible person there.
- Main article: Theories and Speculations (Season 2)
- Due to Sean being able to become visibly flustered during his conversation with her in Episode 2, Cassidy was theorized by many to be a potential love interest for Sean. This was confirmed in Episode 3, where Sean can pursue his romantic interest in both her and Finn.
- Due to sharing a mutual love for travel and aversion towards being tied down by a partner, Cassidy was theorized by some to be connected to Karen Reynolds, Sean's absent mother. As of Episode 3, no direct connections have been made between the two.
- Based off her sharing a name with the famous train robber Butch Cassidy, Cassidy was speculated to be involved in some kind of criminal activity herself. In Episode 3, though she becomes involved with the pot farm along with the other drifters, Cassidy is shown to have a sense of morality when she refuses to help Finn break into and steal from Merrill's house with Daniel's help.
- Due to her relatively strong jawline, Adam's apple, and her figure being obscured by her coat during Episode 2, Cassidy was speculated by some to be transgender.
- Due to both being on the road, Cassidy is speculated by some to have met Brody Holloway during her travels, who owns a backpack depicting hobo symbology. In Episode 1, Brody gives Daniel a bandanna which can be seen as bearing resemblance to Finn's; however, when Daniel wears the same bandanna in Episode 3, none of the drifters make any comment on it.
- Due to their close relationship, equal height, similar facial structure, and casual banter about their "scoreboards", Cassidy was theorized by some to be Finn's sister and possibly his twin, fitting into the game's recurring theme of familial bonds. This was disproven in Episode 3, where it was revealed that Finn only had three older brothers and that Cassidy is estranged from her only brother.
- At the end of Episode 3, Cassidy is able to be injured during the heist at Merrill's house. Some fans theorize that, should Sean end up in police detainment following the episode's events, Cassidy will be able to help Sean break out in order to search for his brother.
Memorable Quotes Edit
- Main article: Memorable Quotes (Season 2)
- "Ha! Finally, someone who dares speaking with me! Hope you're vaccinated..."
- — Cassidy to Sean upon initiating a conversation at the Christmas market in "Rules" (determinant)
- "Me and my friends have been... crashing here for the week. Nobody... gives a shit about us... I can tell you're not from around here."
- — Cassidy to Sean during their conversation at the market in "Rules"
- "Are you kidding? You wanna talk about your scoreboard, hotshot?"
- — Cassidy to Finn after he teases her about being into "suburban boys" in "Rules"
- "You're gonna fine our dog? Well, that's not very nice!"
- — Cassidy to Nick upon being told off for not having a leash in "Rules"
- "Oh god, he's gonna call the cops on us, Finn!"
- — Cassidy to Finn while mocking Nick in "Rules"
- "Smart. But if you get too clingy, people run away... I know what I'm talking about."
- — Cassidy to Sean in "Wastelands" (determinant)
- "Get off my crack, Hannah! We've been stuck out here for two months! I didn't come out to California to work on a fucking farm, I wanna see some water! Are we gonna squat out here forever? Build a house? What?"
- — Cassidy to Hannah in "Wastelands"
- "Thanks, everyone! I take ass, cash or grass. Ahem. Hint hint."
- — Cassidy to the drifters around the campfire in "Wastelands"
- "Even if it's our last night here, we'll meet again, Sean. One thing I learned while travelling is how small the world is... we already met twice, why not more? Even if we don't, we'll be fucking cool memories in each other's mind!"
- — Cassidy to Sean in "Wastelands"
- "This is just skin, Sean. Like... a sketchbook you'll carry around all your life. You never regret what you write in a diary, right? Only read it with nostalgia, whatever memory it holds."
- — Cassidy to Sean in "Wastelands" (determinant)
- Cassidy's name is a reference to Butch Cassidy, a famous American train robber. This was confirmed in the "Unusual Easter Eggs in Episodes 1 and 2" episode of the official Community Video Series.
- Prior to its release, there were several hints that Life is Strange 2 would involve teenage freight hoppers:
- During Captain Spirit, Chris Eriksen can come across an e-mail on his father's computer detailing accounts of "unruly teenage freight hoppers" in the area.
- In an interview prior to the release of the game, Michel Koch revealed that one of his major inspirations for Life is Strange 2 was Mike Brodie, a photographer known for having train-hopped across the USA for four years while capturing images of the people he met along the way.
- Cassidy's character design might be inspired by Mike Brodie's images of freight hoppers and vagabonds.
- One of Cassidy's signs reads "Will eat for food." This is a parody of the signs that homeless people usually carry and which contain phrases such as "Will do X for food."
- In "Rules", Cassidy will leave behind her guitar pick at the Christmas market, which Sean can pick up and keep as a souvenir.
- During the campfire and heist scenes in Episode 3, Cassidy wears a baja jacket, which are commonly associated with stoners and hippie subculture.
- On entry #68 of his journal, Sean draws a version of the dragon and three ghosts depicted on Cassidy's left sleeve tattoo.
- While Cassidy's age is unspecified, there is some text and dialogue that might indicate that she is a teenager, such as Charles Eriksen's email in Captain Spirit that refers to "unruly teenage freight hoppers" and one of Nick's idle comments at the Christmas market.
- Cassidy's character model was worked on by Character Artist Juliette Devillers with help from the LiS Character Team at DONTNOD. On June 14, 2019, Juliette released several freecam screenshots of Cassidy on her ArtStation, which can be viewed here.
- On June 27, 2019, an official video surrounding Cassidy's character was uploaded as the first in a Character Profiles video series. Within it, the following was revealed:
- Initial designs for Cassidy were being made as far back as 2016.
- A cut portion of Cassidy's backstory would have surrounded her love interest, who was initially going to be named Kyle. Kyle would have originally left his home in Hillsboro to follow her on the road, but eventually decided to head back to his family, leaving her wary of giving others her trust and affection.
- The biography on Cassidy's casting sheet included the following information: "Cassidy has no interest in sound "good", she just needs to sound "true", and "raw". Everything she says needs to sound genuine, she's never faking and she's trying to always enjoy every moment and situation."
- Main article: Cassidy/Gallery
- ↑ "Nah, I just... got them from people I met... Friends, lovers, strangers... That's what I care about."
(Episode 3, "Paradise Lost" - Cassidy while giving Sean a tattoo (determinant).)
- ↑ Life is Strange 2 Developers on Leaving Chloe and Max Behind - Gamescom 2018 (August 22, 2818)
- ↑ Nick - "I wasn't such a jerk teenager, was I?"
(Episode 2, "Christmas Market" - One of Nick's idle comments after encountering Cassidy and Finn.)
- ↑ Devillers, Juliette (June 14, 2019). "I had the chance to work on Cassidy for Life is Strange 2 at Dontnod. (...) Thanks to the amazing LiS Character Team for the tips and help." Artstation.
Life is Strange 2 Characters
|Sean Diaz · Daniel Diaz · Esteban Diaz · Karen Reynolds · Claire Reynolds · Stephen Reynolds|
|Met in Seattle|
|Lyla Park · Brett Foster · Kindred Matthews|
|Met at Bear Station|
|Brody Holloway · Doris Stamper · Hank Stamper · Californian Family (Mother · Father · Girl)|
|Met in Beaver Creek|
|Chris Eriksen · Charles Eriksen · Cassidy · Finn · Nick · Angus Lee|
|Met in Humboldt County|
|Penny · Hannah · Jacob · Ingrid · Anders · Merrill · Big Joe|
|Mushroom · Cougar|
|Jenn Murphy · Noah · Scott Foster · Ellery Winchell · Eric · Adam Barnes · Andrew · Emily Eriksen|
|Hawt Dawg Man · Power Bear|