Jacob Samuel Hackerman (born November 6th, 1996), also known as Jake, is a character in Life is Strange 2. During Episode 3, he is met by Sean Diaz and Daniel Diaz at a campsite in Humboldt County, California. He was part of a community of drifters and worked at an illegal cannabis plantation.
- To visit Jacob's tent, click here.
Jacob is a fairly reserved and shy, yet easygoing and kind-natured person. Though he was raised in a religious environment, Jacob began questioning his faith after an unknown event and left his community to seek answers. He appears to enjoy casual photography, as he owns a camera which he often carried around and used to take photos of the other drifters at the campsite. He describes himself as disliking being alone due to being "used to having people around".
It is revealed in Episode 4 that Jacob is homosexual and his old community had been putting him through gay conversion therapy. This led him to become depressed and paranoid, manifesting into a suicide attempt.
Jacob has short, dark brown hair, a mustache, and a beard. During the day, he wears a graphic t-shirt, a green bandana, and khaki pants. At night, he wears a plaid, red flannel.
In Episode 4, we see him in a formal t-shirt and jeans, with his hair cut back and his face shaved.
Jacob was raised in a small community with his father, mother, and nine-year-old sister, Sarah Lee Hackerman. After Pastor Lisbeth Fischer founded Haven Point, his parents decided to move west in order to join her. He states his worst memory is when he lost his faith. He confides in the others at the camp that he used to be a "sheep" - a true believer - but he started doubting himself, which caused the community and his own family to see him as trouble. After being discovered as liking boys, Jacob was encouraged by his parents and Lisbeth to undergo conversion therapy. He began praying constantly and stopped hanging out with other people, boys and girls alike, causing him to become depressed and paranoid. Upon finding out that Jacob had "tried to hurt [himself]" one day, Lisbeth had a long conversation with Jacob before advising him to leave the community and figure things out. In "Wastelands," he says that he left Haven Point to try and find himself, but won't go back there unless he gets a signal from God.
Episode Three - "Wastelands" Edit
After exiting his tent, Sean can come across Jacob writing a letter by his tent to his nine-year-old sister. Jacob asks Sean for advice on how to end the letter, and he can tell him to either write "Thinking of you", draw hearts and unicorns (resulting in him drawing the former), or draw something she’d like (resulting in him drawing her pet chicken, Alexander).
After returning from the pot farm at sunset, Sean can visit Jacob’s tent, where he can find Jacob’s finished letter his sister Sarah with Sean’s advised ending. However, the letter’s writing overlaps with the address line, and the word "POSTCARD" and the stamp area are thoroughly scribbled out in pen.
That night, during Finn’s game of who can tell the worst memory at the campfire, Jacob reveals that he grew up in a small community in Haven Point, Nevada and was once very religious. He explains that he lost his faith as his experiences led him to doubt himself, and that as a result, he felt lost. After the game, Jacob signs off for the night and heads back to his tent.
The next day, during their payday at Merrill's house, Jacob witnesses Daniel using his telekinesis to throw a plate at Big Joe alongside Cassidy, Finn, and Sean. That night, Jacob watches in awe as Daniel demonstrates his powers to the group of four and hesitates once asked by Sean to keep them a secret. He asks how long they're planning to hide his powers and questions whether they were given to him for a reason, then reassures the others that he won't tell anyone and heads back to the campsite.
During the Diaz brothers' going-away party, Sean can find Jacob sitting with Hannah and Daniel around the campfire. While speaking with her, Hannah reveals that she saw Jacob praying to himself; Sean has the option of asking whether he's alright, to which he responds that he's fine and just thinking. After Hannah asks whether the two want to be left alone, Jacob responds that he'd like to be, causing Sean to leave.
While in hospital, Sean finds a message in his notebook by Jacob, who had taken Daniel to Haven Point, and had told Karen about Daniel. While in Karen's motel room, Sean calls Jacob, who says they should meet tomorrow. At the meet, Sean can be either angry at him, or understanding before they devise a plan to get, not just Daniel out, but Jacob's sister, Sarah, as well, who is sick with pneumonia. It is revealed in this episode when Sean and Jacob are sneaking into Lisbeth Fischer's office the event that caused Jacob to "lose his faith" was because he had been forced by the community into gay conversion therapy. He believed for many of the first years that he was wrong and a sinner for his sexuality, even attempting suicide. He then took this to Lisbeth who told him that he needed to get away from the community. This journey would eventually lead him to the Trimmigrants and Merrill's farm.
- Sarah Lee - Jacob used to have a close relationship with his sister before he left, and describes her as the one he misses the most. She owns a pet chicken named Alexander, whom Jacob finds creepy but Sarah loves. After leaving their community, Jacob can express to Sean that he's "afraid Sarah's a bit mad at [him] for leaving her". In Episode four "Faith" we meet her and find out how strong their bond is when he goes through with breaking and entering to prove she is sick and get her help.
- Main article: Theories and Speculations (Season 2)
- Following Daniel’s escape from Merrill’s house at the end of Episode 3, some theorize that Jacob either kidnapped or coerced him into heading back to his religious community in Nevada. During their conversation at the campfire, Jacob tells the group that he isn’t planning on going back to his family in Haven Point, Nevada until he receives a “sign from God”. After learning of Daniel’s abilities, Jacob states that they must have been given to him for a reason and that the drifters might be meant to guide him. He goes on to act visibly lost in thought at the following party, and Hannah mentions that she saw him praying. In Episode 4’s title card, prominent billboards advertising Nevada companies can be seen. Additionally, the achievements for Episode 4 and 5 make several references to religious terms and iconography.
- During the campfire, Jacob states that his old religious community had an “intense” female reverend. Some fans speculate this reverend to either be Karen Reynolds, who shows several signs of interest in spirituality within her room and caused her devoutly Christian mother, Claire Reynolds, to disown her for reasons unknown; or Karen's pen pal, Emma, who mentions living in a "boring" area and having a large family, possibly either in reference to the community or due to contraception being against their religion.
Memorable Quotes Edit
- "What if he has those powers for a reason? Maybe it's our job to help him, too. Guide him..."
- — Jacob to Sean in "Wastelands"
- "I always showed more interest in boys than girls... They thought I was a freak. A sinner."
- — Jacob to Sean in "Faith"
- "I just prayed all the time... and stopped hanging out with boys... girls... everybody. I got depressed, paranoid..."
- — Jacob to Sean in "Faith" (determinant)
- "After a few years... I was in a really bad place... I-I tried to hurt myself. Lisbeth was very upset. We had a long chat... She told me I should leave, go see the world and figure things out. I-I don't really get her, Sean... but Lisbeth does believe in all this stuff..."
- — Jacob to Sean in "Faith"
- "I'm sorry I brought Daniel here... I was just so blown away when I saw what he could do... it was like a real miracle... I-I thought I... I had found my faith again... instead I... I just hurt him..."
- — Jacob to Sean in "Faith"
- Jacob's zodiac sign is Scorpio
- According to his file, Jacob refused to compete in sports and was often "secretive". A note is also attached to the file, written by Jacob asking a boy named Bruce to meet him again in a parking lot at 11pm and signed with "J. xo".
- ↑ Sean's internal thoughts on Jacob's camera in his tent
- ↑ Conversation with Sean - Episode 3, "Rise and Shine"
- ↑ keeping-tabs: "Tonight in wild speculation: what’s the deal with Jacob? (Possible spoilers ahead)"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 /u/exotic_hang_glider: "Anyone get this vibe from Jacob?"
Life is Strange 2 Characters
|Sean Diaz · Daniel Diaz · Esteban Diaz · Karen Reynolds · Claire Reynolds · Stephen Reynolds|
|Met in Seattle|
|Lyla Park · Brett Foster · Kindred Matthews|
|Met at Bear Station|
|Brody Holloway · Doris Stamper · Hank Stamper · Californian Family (Mother · Father · Girl)|
|Met in Beaver Creek|
|Chris Eriksen · Charles Eriksen · Cassidy · Finn · Nick · Angus Lee|
|Met in Humboldt County|
|Penny · Hannah · Jacob · Ingrid · Anders · Merrill · Big Joe|
|Met at Sacred Hope Hospital|
|Joey Peterson · Maria Elena Flores|
|Met in the Desert|
|Mike Wilson · Chad Michaels · Anton Oates|
|Met in Haven Point|
|Lisbeth Fischer · Nicholas Durand · Sarah Lee Hackerman · Robert Hackerman · Helen Miller · Derek|
|Mushroom · Cougar|
|Jenn Murphy · Noah · Scott Foster · Ellery Winchell · Eric · Adam Barnes · Andrew · Emily Eriksen|
|Hawt Dawg Man · Power Bear|