Life and Career
Life is Strange
Kylie had never heard of Life is Strange before she took the role, but the played it previously to her voice acting sessions.
"I had never heard of it before now, but Life is Strange has literally changed my life, and I’ve told other people that I’m so thankful that is has come into my life. I get messages from people saying how much strength it’s given them in their life and their sexuality, and that’s such an amazing thing. I’m so grateful to have this opportunity where young girls or young guys that are just like, 'hey, this means a lot to me.' Just because of everything that’s happened, I absolutely love this game. I mean it’s my first big thing, and I’m glad that this thing has an impact on people’s lives in a positive way."
"What I mean is that I obviously played Life is Strange and researched Rachel before recording so I knew what it was, but I didn’t know what it was, how big it was, until Rhianna showed me this fandom page she was on and I only then realized what I was getting into—and it kept getting bigger and bigger."
About voicing Rachel:
"Her voice is my voice [laughs]. No, but I didn’t have to do much to find her voice, it was mostly just connecting with the material or being in the emotion. A lot of the time Phil had me in a very sultry voice, so that’s where she lived mostly. A lot of the time he would look at me and I knew something mischievous was going to be coming, and he would say, 'Do that thing that you don’t like to do, but I like you to do because you’re good at it and it works,' and I’m like, goddammit, cause that means being sultry. Bring on the sexy voice!"
Her view on Rachel as a character:
"She’s a hurt person who’s going through something that none of us wanna go through. Like, you’re in high school and you might have found the love of your life, and you’re finding out that your dad’s been cheating on your mom with your real mom... so her entire life has been a lie. So she’s hurt, and people say she’s a traitor or she cheats or she’s not trustworthy.
Everything leading up to her finding out about her father, she’s been nothing but googly-eyes towards Chloe. Yeah, she likes to play games, but she is a drama queen! Then after she finds out about her dad, wouldn’t it tear you up? Wouldn’t that tear you up to pieces where you’re not thinking clearly? I don’t see her as not trustworthy, I just see her as broken. The same as Chloe."
About connecting to her character:
"I had really bad anger issues as a kid. It’s something I still have but I have learned to keep inside, and it’s seldom now, but when I was a kid a lot could set me off. So, sad to say I guess that’s a part of Rachel I connect with. I mean I didn’t get physical, I didn’t throw any salad bowls. I didn’t start any fires!"
About the fandom:
"I have never seen a fandom like that, so I’m honored that they have accepted me as their Rachel and I know I say that a lot but it’s true, I am. It was nothing like I thought it would be, or that it would be so big… because I didn’t know what it was!"
- Kylie's final choice in the original Life is Strange was to save the town because it was the logical choice for her to to save "all these families and children" by sacrificing Chloe, according to the moral imperative, "Kill one, save a thousand."
- Her favorite scenes: "I love the witty comebacks Chloe has, but for Rachel my favorite scene has to be the one under the lamppost. Well, I guess that might be everyone’s favorite scene [laughs]."
- The The Tempest scene was a challenge for Kylie: "I’m familiar with Shakespeare, I’m familiar with iambic pentameter, but I hadn’t done it in a really long time. I thought the scene was just going to be your typical drama club version of The Tempest, and Webb [Pickersgill, co-game director] was like 'Yeah so we need this in iambic.' So I told him I would brutally attempt this because it’s not gonna go well."
- Talking to the voice of Rachel from Life is Strange: Before the Storm (December 11, 2017)
- Kylie Brown: ‘I Was Nervous, But Ecstatic,’ to Voice Rachel Amber in Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (Hardcore Gamer) (November 7, 2017)
- Blackwell Podcast Episode 46 - Kylie Brown (October 14, 2017)
Before the Storm Voice Actors
|Before the Storm Cast|
|Rhianna DeVries · Kylie Brown · Bootsie Park · D.W. McCann · Nick Apostolides · Cameron Quiseng · Katy Bentz · Dillon Winfrey · Trey Hutch · Caleb Thomas · Marcus Oliver · Michael Vasque · Tanner Gould · Casey Leach · Emily Sergent · Hailey Hayes · Theresa Croft · Gina Dobson · Chad Skiles · Ike A · Steve Phelan · Maura Corsini · Peter D. Michael|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Talking to the voice of Rachel from Life is Strange: Before the Storm (December 11, 2017)