"Man, that smell of breakfast and the sound of clanging silverware... Makes me feel thirteen again..." — Max Caulfield's monologue inside the diner in "Out of Time"
The Two Whales Diner is a local diner in Arcadia Bay known for their "home style cooking" and "old-fashioned service". Chloe Price's mother, Joyce Price, works there as a waitress. According to Max Caulfield, it serves "the best damn hamburgers in Arcadia".
It is clear that the diner is hugely popular, particularly with the students in the area. Police officers, passing truck drivers and other residents of Arcadia Bay also frequent the diner, possibly due to its proximity to a bus stop, a large parking space next to and opposite the diner and a gas station nearby. The diner also advertises that it is open 24 hours. This further increases the scope of its business.
Episode One - "Chrysalis"
The diner makes its first brief appearance in Episode 1, where we see Joyce cleaning the counter tops, looking out at the snow-storm at the end of the episode. There are also fliers for the diner on the Blackwell campus and in the Madsen household.
Episode Two - "Out of Time"
Max meets Chloe here for breakfast during the episode, and has a reunion with Joyce while she waits for Chloe to arrive. Max can explore the diner and talk to several guests before sitting down. The bathroom has a large amount of graffiti - most notably, the doe on the wall similar to that of Max's shirt; her spirit animal. Other notes include "Kate Marsh love u long time", relating to Kate's viral video, as well as creating a possible reference to The 40 Year Old Virgin or Full Metal Jacket.
The booth Max decides to sit in has notable etchings on the table, which she attributes to Warren Graham and his nerdy habits.
Episode Three - "Chaos Theory"
The Diner is featured again in this episode. Max tries to find a way to steal Frank Bowers's keys, who is eating inside. Several other characters can be encountered, including Officer Berry and Nathan Prescott who, among other things, tells Max how to approach Frank for drugs.
Episode Five - "Polarized"
After Max makes her way through parts of the storm to head to the diner, she is surprised as it blows up due to a spreading fire and Max must rewind and put the fire out by using the sand to her right. Max has to use the side entrance to enter because Frank's RV is crashed into it. When she does enter, she is greeted by Joyce and Warren and sees that Frank, Pompidou, (if they're still alive) and a stranger are held up there as well.
The diner is later featured again in Max's nightmare.
In the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending, the diner is shown to be severely damaged, but still standing. It is unknown if the people taking shelter inside the building are alive or not.
The items on the menu that are viewable to Max appear to be breakfast food items only. They are as follows:
- Homestyle Eggs & Bacon - $5.50
- Breakfast Cheeseburger - $5.25
- Apple Sausage Omelette - $6.25
- Starfish Pancakes - (half-stars) $4.25, (full stars) $6.25
- Bigfoot Bacon Omelette - $6.50
- Fresh Oatmeal - $2.25
- Morning Glory Waffle - $4.50
- Various Cereal - $1.25
- Belgium Waffle & Fried Fish - $8.75
- Bigfoot Bacon - $3.00
- Apple Sausage - $3.25
- Crab Cakes - $5.00
- Hash Browns - $2.25
- Bagel w/cream cheese - $2.00
- Two Slices Toast - $1.50
- Coffee (Arcadia Bay Roast) - $1.50 (free refills w/breakfast)
- Tea - $1.00
- Fresh Orange Juice - $2.00
- Various Soda - $1.50
- Milk - $1.25
- Mineral Water - $1.00
The following items are not listed on the menu.
- Daily specials
- Cookies (in food counter)
- Doughnuts (in food counter)
- Bread (in food counter)
- Cupcakes and/or Muffins (in food counter)
- Cherry-topped cake (on counter)
- Bacon and Eggs - $5.45 (on whiteboard behind counter)
- Beans (being eaten by Frank Bowers)
- Pumpkin pie (mentioned by the Diner Cop)
- Mac and Cheese (mentioned by the Diner Cop)
The diner has many items that Max has the option to observe.The "Fishing Wall Of Fame" is located in the corner of the diner closest to the jukebox. Awards are given each month to fishermen that catch fish which are significant, but how they are significant is unspecified. The awards are given by the Arcadia Bay Fishing Club according to the banner underneath the display.
- White Surgeon, caught by Dick Weber
- Steelhead trout, caught by Andy Berry
- Chinook Salmon, caught by Rich Conrad
In the bathroom, there are many instances of graffiti, some of which are also observable.
- "The 7th sign: The sea and sky will turn black, and living things will die because of it."
- The Doe - next to the hand-drier, similar to the one on Max's shirt.
- See here for all interactions in the game. Hover over the text to see Max's comments.
Episode Two - "Out of Time"
- She can look at and speak to a woman."She looks busy and stressed."
- She can look at and try to speak to an old man."I bet he's seen a lot of changes to Arcadia Bay in his lifetime..."
- She can look at a newspaper kiosk."I wonder if they explained that snow..."
- She can read a newspaper from the kiosk."'Snow'—well, that's a good start to the story..."
- She can look at and speak to a man reading the newspaper."Newspapers are going to be retro soon..."
- She can look at and speak to the homeless lady."Poor woman. I hope there's a shelter for her."
- She can take an optional photo of Pompidou from behind the diner."There was something creepy about that guy and his dog..."
- She can look at and speak to the fisherman"He looks like a photo of the classic Arcadia Bay crusty fisherman..."
- She can look at the flyers in front of the fisherman."Look at all these flyers. It's so sad that nobody will read them..."
- She can look at Frank's RV."There's that dirty RV from the other day..."
- She can look at the window of Frank's RV (if she drew on it the previous day)."Obviously nobody took my advice."
- She can look at the diner's sign."That sign reminds me of so many times I ate here with Chloe and my family... when we were happy."
- Max can look at a Halloween flyer."Now that brings back memories... Chloe and I loved the parade..."
- She can look at a Pan Estates flyer."Good Lord. Talk about apocalyptic..."
- She can look at the gum stand."Oh man, I bet that's the same gum from when I was here last..."
- She can look at several leaflets:
- "Coasteaus Tours""This guy has serious cojones."
- "Moby Deck Tours""Why does that so not sound fun?"
- "Sasquatch Field Trip""I might make Chloe check this out with me."
- She can look at a poster of Blackwell Academy near the bathroom entrance."The poster doesn't mention whacked students with guns."
- She can look at a tourist shirt."I would buy a shirt, but they're so damn tourist."
- She can look at some postcards."You'd never know how weird this town is by these postcards..."
- She can look at a graffiti in the bathroom."Thank you, redneck poet."
- She can take an optional photo of the mirror inscription.
- She can look at another graffiti near the stalls."Gross."
- She can look at a graffiti inside one of the stalls."That graffiti has been here forever..."
- She can look at the food counter."Drool. Want everything."
- She can look at a picture of a whale."That's funny, our family never went whale watching. Looks fun."
- She can look at and choose a song on the jukebox."'I Got You Babe.' How apropos... But no fucking way."
- She can look at the "Fishing Wall of Fame"."Forgot about the Fishing Wall O' Fame..."
- She can look at a photo of Ken Kesey with Joyce."Whoa, Ken Kesey with Joyce! That's so perfect."
- She can look at and speak to the weird lady."I always wonder what people think about when they eat alone."
- She can look at and speak to a fisherman."These fishermen are so damn quiet..."
- She can look at and try to speak to a drunk man."Ew, that guy looks unpleasant..."
- She can look at and speak to a police officer."That officer looks nicer than wannabe-cop David Madsen..."
- She can look at and speak to a truck driver."Truckers have such a romantic life, always on the road..."
- She can look at and speak to another trucker."I wouldn't last one day as a trucker. Those rigs are too damn big."
- She can look at and speak to Justin."Justin is such a mellow dude."
- She can look at and speak to Trevor."Trevor looks as happy as Dana did..."
- She can sit at a diner booth (required).
After ordering her breakfast:
- Max can look at the menu."The only thing that's changed on the menu are the prices..."
- She can look at a graffiti on the table."Nerd graffiti. Warren must have been here."
- She can look at and drink her coffee.
Drink: "This is like fourth-dimensional deja-vu... I keep going back in time..."Look: "Oh yes, black coffee, you will be mine..."
- She can look out the window.
I guess I actually can now. But then it wouldn't be a moment...""The lighthouse looks so mysterious... I wish I could stay in this moment forever...
- She can look at Chloe's stuff (required)."Okay Max, study every item carefully and don't forget anything!"
- She can look at the TV.
Episode Three - "Chaos Theory"
- Max can look at the fisherman's flyers."Look at all these flyers. It's so sad that nobody will read them..."
- She can speak to the fisherman.
- She can speak to Alyssa after warning her about a passing car.
- She can look at several dead birds.
"This is so creepy..."
"Tornadoes, snowfall, eclipses... now dying animals. Holy shit.""What is going on here?"
- She can look at Chloe.
With key: "Nice Scooby snack, Chloe."Without key: "I hope she finds a nice T-bone to keep the doggie busy..."
- She can look at and try to open the RV door.
Open: "Locked." Look: "Careful, Max. Cujo ahead..."
- She can look at the window of Frank's RV."Déjà vu. There's dust on the dust now."
- She can look at and speak to the Truck Driver."That would be cool to be a trucker for a while... Always on the road..."
- She can look at the truck in the distance.
Photo available: "I made the trucker happy and I get to photograph this bitchin' 1977 Needham.
That's a big 10-4, Max."Photo unavailable: "I'd love to do a whole 'Big Rig' photo series..."
- She can read an issue of The Independent from the kiosk.
Kate dead: "Yes, another great day in Arcadia Bay."Kate alive: "Oh God, that is so embarrassing. I'm gonna get trolled hard."
- She can look at and take an optional photo of a dead bird surrounded by ants.
Photo: "So ominous..."Look: "Look at that... so sad, disturbing, and beautiful at once... what an amazing shot."
- She can look at and speak to the Homeless Lady."I hate seeing old women on the street like that... nice world."
- Max can look at a poster of the drive-in.
Max needs more fun."
Refused invitation: "It does look like fun... I'm just not in 'fun mode' right now... Poor Warren."Accepted invitation: "That will be fun to take a road trip to the drive-in with Warren...
- She can look at the jukebox."Can't drop any tunes right now. Keys."
- She can look at the food counter."Looks tasty, but my need for keys comes first."
- She can look at "the 7th sign" graffiti in the bathroom."Shit, what are the other signs then?"
- She can look at more graffiti in the bathroom:
- If Kate is alive, it will read "Kate should have jumped"."You should have jumped, asswipe."
- If Kate is dead, it will read "You killed Kate"."Maybe we all did..."
- She can look at and speak to Nathan Prescott.
Nathan expelled: "Nathan has time to get drugs from Frank because he was expelled...""Nathan and Frank together? That's a bad combo."
- She can look at and speak to Officer Berry."Never mind me, Officer... I'm just here to steal a drug dealer's keys."
- She can look at and speak to Frank (required).
With key: "Oh, he's gonna tweak out when he can't find his keys!"Without key: "Turn up the brain to 11, Max. How can you snag Frank's keys?"
- She can look at and spill Frank's beer."I could chug this beer, or dump it on Frank. Beer is gross, so..."
- She can look at and spill Frank's beans."Frank Bowers stars in 'A Faceful of Beans'..."
- She can look at and take Frank's keys (required)."The magic keys to Frank's RV kingdom!"
- She can look at the TV.
Episode Five - "Polarized"
- Max can look at and help the trucker."Hey, that guy is trapped! I have to help everybody I can."
- She can look at a dead body."Death is everywhere... following me…"
- She can look at and help Evan.
Dead: "Oh no! No, Evan... Why didn't I grab you?"Alive: "Evan, are you crazy? Get the hell out of here!"
- She can look at and help Alyssa."Alyssa is stuck in that house... I have to get her out fast."
- She can look at and use a wooden plank to get to Alyssa."Come on, find some way to help Alyssa…"
- She can look at another dead body."Oh, I can't stand seeing these bodies…"
- She can look at a child's drawing."I... I can't think about all those children out there…"
- She can look at a note about the stolen tablet."Mystery solved... but nobody gets a reward..."
Inside a ruined building:
- Max can read an issue of The Great Northwest."If we can make it out of this, Chloe..."
- She can look at and use the fuse box (required)."Don't fail me, fuse box..."
- She can look at an "Arcadia Bay Softball League" flyer."Aw... This makes me so sad."
- She can look at the sprinkler."Okay. I just need to switch on the electricity to activate the sprinkler."
- She can look at and help the fisherman.
Dead: "Oh no..."Alive: "I want to help that fisherman, but... he's in shock and he might not hear me."
- She can look at and use the sand near the diner (required).
Use: "Yes!"Look: "Please let this sand put out the fire…"
After putting out the fire:
- Max can look at the menu board."I wish life was back to simple eggs and bacon…"
- She can look at and take an optional photo of a whale."Look at that... This tornado might be the end of the world... but not if I can change it."
- She can look at a derailed train."Shit, that train could have derailed into the diner…"
- She can look at Warren's car."Warren's car is about the only thing left alone... Good."
- She can look at the Two Whales sign."I never thought I'd see the Two Whales look like that…"
- She can look at a Pan Estates flyer."Not anymore…"
- She can read an issue of The Bay Bud Weekly."The monsters are actually the people here…"
- She can look at the window of Frank's RV (determinant)."'Have A Nice Day'... Sure. But somebody has to save the world."
- She can take an optional photo of a car on a building.
- She can look at the homeless woman (determinant)."Oh no... not her... I should have warned her! I never even asked her name... so selfish."
- She can look at the homeless woman's empty place (determinant)."Whoa, she's not here... I hope she's in a shelter... I never even asked her name..."
- Max can look at the food supplies."At least nobody is going to starve in here..."
- She can read an issue of the Arcadia Bay Beacon."Go get 'em, Juliet…"
- She can look at a "Save Our Bay" flyer."Trust me, I'm trying to figure out how... I swear."
- She can look at the first-aid kit."Good job, Warren. I hope those supplies are enough."
- She can look at and speak to Warren."Look at Warren... always trying to help."
- She can look at and speak to Joyce.
Frank dead: "Joyce has got everybody's back..."Frank alive: "Joyce has got everybody's back... even Frank's."
- She can look at and speak to Frank (determinant).
Hurt Frank: "I wish Frank was on our team... He's not a bad guy."No one hurt: "It's good to have Frank on our team."
- She can look at Pompidou (determinant)."At least Frank still has Pompidou at his side."
- She can focus on Warren's photo (required).
- She can look at and speak to Warren again after attempting to focus on the photo (required).
Leave: "I like how Warren just does his thing no matter what."
Kiss: "At least I kissed Warren once to let him know how I feel..."Hug: "I hope Warren knows how much his friendship means to me."
During Episode 2, Max can shoot three optional photos in and around the diner, including the Two Whales sign and Frank's dog through a fence behind the diner. She can shoot an optional photo in the bathroom. "FIRE WALK WITH ME" is scrawled across the mirror in large letters.
In Episode 3, Max can take another photo of a dead bird surrounded by insects in a circle, just around the side of the diner.
There is another photo across the road of a truck, which you can obtain by speaking to the truck driver and rewinding to comment on his Needham and mention Rachel Amber.
In the final episode, there are two opportunities to take an optional photo near the diner: one is of a car blown on top of a building, and another is of a whale on the road.
- Warren Graham - Caught in a gas explosion (Pre-Rewind)
- Frank Bowers - Caught in a gas explosion (Pre-Rewind)
- Pompidou - Caught in a gas explosion (Pre-Rewind)
- Joyce Price - Caught in a gas explosion (Pre-Rewind)
- Unnamed man - Caught in a gas explosion (Pre-Rewind)
- Near the fisherman a sign can be seen on which "follow us on Weeter" is written. Weeter could be a reference to the social media platform Twitter.
- The Diner Cop is similar to the character Dale Cooper from the television show Twin Peaks, who also very consistently praised pies from the local cafe. It's possible that this could be one of the many references made to the show in Life is Strange.
- The people featured on the "Fishing Wall Of Fame" are possibly referencing real people.
- During the storm in Episode 5, the neon sign at the Two Whales Diner spells out "DIE" due to the damage inflicted by the strong winds and flying debris.
- When Max arrives at the Two Whales Diner during the storm in Episode 5, ironically, there are exactly two dead whales on the street in front of the diner.
- The Two Whales Diner likely is based on the Blue Moon Diner, located in Beaverton, Oregon. The interior is incredibly similar, and there is a newspaper article in the airplane in Episode 5 with the headline "Two Moon Diner?" which connects the names of the two diners with each other. Fun fact: The official website of the Blue Moon Diner says "Welcome fellow time travelers" in the upper-left corner and someone posed as Max Caulfield in the comments, stating, "Couldn't decide between the Bacon omelette and the Belgian waffle, they're both hella good." This is a reference to Max's decision in Episode 2. Another comment, made by someone posing as Chloe Price says, "Come here all the time with my bestfriend. Love the bacon omelette its hella amazing." And someone else pretending to be Warren Graham stated, "Love this place! Me and my everyday hero always make sure to hit up this diner for an early dinner before heading off to the drive-in. Those belgian waffles are hella tasty!"
- On the floor of the hideout, a placemat from the Two Whales Diner can be seen, probably "borrowed" by Chloe.
- The flyer in Chloe's house can be viewed by Sean Diaz when he enters David Madsen's trailer in Life is Strange 2.
- There is also a Two Whales Diner bottlecap within the trailer, which Sean can keep as one of his souvenirs in the episode "Wolves".
- ↑ This is an incredibly ominous reference to the eco-disaster later in the game. It also foreshadows the destruction of the Bay.
- ↑ Official Blue Moon Diner website: http://bluemoondinerpdx.com/
Life is Strange Locations
|Arcadia Bay · ACFC Drive-Thru · American Rust Junkyard (Hideout) · Cemetery · Chloe's Truck · Police Department · Beach · Blackwell Academy · Frank's RV · Gas Station · Hospital · Lighthouse · Madsen Household (Bedroom · Chloe's Room · Garage · Bathroom · 2008) · Pan Estates · Prescott Barn (Dark Room) · McFlinn · Prescott Estate · Water Tower · Train Tracks · Rue Altimore · Harbor Inn · Two Whales Diner · Up All Nite Donuts|
|Hallway · Main Campus · Parking Lot · Photography Lab · Prescott Dormitory · Principal Wells' Office · Science Lab · Swimming Pool|
|Max's Room · Dana's Room · Kate's Room · Victoria's Room · Nathan's Room · Custodial Room|
|Alternative Beach · Alternative Price Household (Garage) · Bean Hip Cafe · Kroft Gallery · Plane · Zeitgeist Gallery|